Thursday, October 16, 2008

Officially Official

Locations of visitors to this page
Today as I walked into the ICU even before I went to see Shimmy, I saw Brian, our new resident. I asked if Simon's BNP was back since it was Thursday. He hadn't checked yet but would let me know.
As I went to check in on Simon he followed right behind me checking over his papers. He said "oh I'm sorry, it's right here."
It was then, as non chalant as can be, he said "it's 798." I thought I hadn't heard right. 7 and 9 and 8. Down from the 1700's last week.
We're below a thousand folks!!
It wasn't until later that morning that I got the official word from Dr Newkhumet. She came by on her cardiac rounds and seemed just pleased as punch. She said it's not very often that they get to deliver the happy news and once a cardiac patient's BNP drops below a thousand it's official that he's in recovery.
FUCKING AWESOME!!! and a little terrifying but really...we're doing it. Simon's heart is getting stronger, he's growing, and we're on our way to some kind of recovery. We're not in stable land anymore, we're in recovery.
I don't quite know what to think or feel. In some weird way it's the surrealness that I felt when we first came to the hospital. Just a big WHAT?!?! Only this one feels that much lighter and full of Joy.
It's still hard to feel grounded in it and believe that it's not going to go away any second but dang it, it feels good.
PopPop Bernie comes in tomorrow and I can't wait to see his reaction to Simon. It's been almost two months since he's seen him and I think he's a completely different being from who he was back in late August.
10$ says he'll cry, any takers?
So much love and gratitude to all that have read, thought of, sent love, food and healing vibes to the little man. So glad to have you with us.

17 comments:

andreana clay said...

HOLY SHIT!!! i love that little fighter. simon rocks the house!

NYCAvafl said...

What great news! Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you as you start on this adventure!

Bernie will be singing ~ loudly!

Love,

Carol, Pat and Katie
(Z and Cecelia, too!)

FredKarenZuzu said...

WOOOOOFUCKINGHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!
GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!
GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!
GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!
GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!
GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!
GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!

That's family, love, and a lot of fighting determination will get you :)

I'm going to be glowing for days!!!

We love you guys...we'll see you Sunday!

xo fred

Sunita said...

Yay! I am so glad to read he is in recovery. So, SO happy for you both, and all the extended families and friends!
Can't wait for Simon and Claudia to meet one of these days.
Thanks for your postings and courage and strength and honesty throughout. I look forward to seeing you and Jaime with Simon, sometime down here on the peninsula.
Warm hugs,
Sunita

Molly said...

oh laura! this is so amazing. i'm weeping with joy over here on the east side. love you all!

Fresh Ground Knits said...

Yay! I'm so excited!!! go simon!

Unknown said...

that makes *my* heart soooo much bigger with joy and relief

Two Grrlz said...

This is wonderful news!!! Megan, Spencer and I have been following Simon's progress and holding him in our hearts out here in Colorado. We'll keep on cheering for him as he enters into recovery.

Warmly,
CJ & Megan (moms to Spencer & Baxter the dog)

Unknown said...

HIGH FIVE! we are so happy to hear "7-9-8"!
chien, krys, and kazi

Unknown said...

YYYAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!! Such great news. Kim and I wept and hugged each other last night after reading your post. What an amazing person that Simon Lev is. Can't wait to welcome him back to the neighborhood.

AJC said...

what? what?! my head is spinning! yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
so much love!!!
(only $10?)
xoxoxoxxo
Alicia

karen said...

zu was thrilled to tell her kindergarten class (unofficial "Team Shimmy" members) that Simon is "fishally covery-ing". (i'd like to think this infers simon has a very typical goldfish-cracker-laden childhood ahead )

but seriously... we are all giving pause today for the overwhelming sense of wonder, of thanks, of joy.
~~~~~~~~~~~

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of allnothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

e.e.cummings:

Simon Lev said...

This is Sonya, not Simon. But I'm sure he'll join me in saying YEEHAW! I'm so proud of you little heart (big heart I mean!). Congrats to you all.
Love-Auntie Sonya

bb said...

Yea! This is what they mean when they talk about "working miracles." You folks have worked hard for this miracle. We are so pleased! Yea!

Elizabeth, Angie, Leo and Charlie

Anonymous said...

That is great news! Keep on keepin' on!

--Aleah

Sol said...

With all the love the little man's been getting, it stands to reason that his heart's getting stronger. We're all cheering for him (and his wonderful moms) in the Great White North. Rock on, little power forward!

Ridiculously overwhelming amounts of love from Sol, Hannah and Laura ...

Annie said...

Woohooo!!! We had a jumping high five as soon as we read this. I am sooo proud of little Simon - what an amazing kid!!! I hope you sleep sooo well tonight!!!