Sunday, November 19, 2023

Untitled (written 8/30/2008)

 Untitled

Death is sleeping gently

Outside the window

Holding vigil with us

As the baby tosses and turns

Tangled up in fate

Some mornings rays shine in clean and clear

Other mornings the light dims

Mottled and blurred by nose prints

Left from her watchfulness

She sits patiently

Holding her post

As threads

Wind and weave

When they pull apart

Like spider webs brushed by a shoulder

She opens her old, strong arms

To catch and soothe the spirits as they

Stumble

Lost without a body

Some mornings

I nod to her and carry on about my business

Other mornings

I press my face to the window

Peer out

Eyes squinting

With equal parts

Malice and gratitude

If his ties begin to bind and cut

Torturing

I will rap on the window

Call to her and

Nod

I hope that day will never come

But now I know her

I felt her fingers on my shoulder that night

And was oddly comforted to know

We are not alone

No comments: